Tuesday 28 August 2018

Just at the right time

My son has type 1 diabetes.  That's not the point of this post.  He needs two cannulas in his little bottom all of the time.  One to administer the insulin and the other to monitor his levels.  It works really well and most of the time, putting the new cannula in doesn't hurt him.  But sometimes it does.  My wife puts the new cannulas in and she is really good at it.  One day, before I left for Shacharis at Shul he needed one of them replacing.  this time it must have literally hit a nerve.  He is only 8 years old but he cried his little heart out and after a great big hug I had to leave for Shul.

I prayed with particular focus that morning mostly praying for a cure to the dreaded disease and if he does have to have it, at least make it not hurt the poor kid.  Near the end of the service there are a few people who come in schnororing which is collecting money for charity.  One of them is a particular friend of mine and bless him he has a few medical issues of his own.  He was telling me the previous week about how he was planning to have an injection in his foot to help with his pain.  He really wasn't looking forward to it.

Now he told me about it.  Completely oblivious to my davening to Hashem.  Completely oblivious to me asking why.  He simply said the following about his ordeal.

"You know what" he said, "a little bit of pain is worth it to cure a bigger problem."

And that was exactly what I needed to hear.  The weight lifted from my shoulders and I was able to get on with my day with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment